For the Potatoes:
- 6 medium-sized potatoes
- Vegetable oil
For the Marinated Red Onions:
- 2 red onions
- 300 ml (1.5 cups) water
- 2.5 tablespoons 9% vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Herring Topping:
- 3-4 herring fillets
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1.5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1.5 teaspoons grainy mustard
1. Roast the Potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Place the whole potatoes in a baking dish, brush them with vegetable oil, and roast in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes or until they are cooked through and have a golden-brown exterior.
2. Prepare Marinated Red Onions:
- While the potatoes are roasting, thinly slice the red onions into rings.
- In a bowl, combine water, 9% vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the sliced red onions and let them marinate for at least 10 minutes. This will soften the onions and give them a sweet and tangy flavor.
3. Prepare the Herring Topping:
Slice the herring fillets into thin pieces.
In a separate dish, mix vegetable oil with both Dijon and grainy mustard until the mixture is smooth.
Add the sliced herring to the mustard-oil mixture and toss to coat.
4. Assemble the Dish:
Once the roasted potatoes are done, remove them from the oven.
Cut each potato in half lengthwise, and gently scoop out a bit of the center to create a small well.
Fill each potato half with the herring and mustard mixture, ensuring that each piece of potato gets a generous topping of the herring mixture.
Top the herring with the marinated red onion rings for a sweet and tangy contrast.
Garnish the dish with fresh dill for added flavor and a touch of greenery.
5. Serve and Enjoy:
- Your Potato and Herring Snack is ready to be served! This delightful and savory snack is perfect for your holiday table, and your guests will surely love the combination of flavors and textures.
Enjoy your meal! 😋🎉