Homemade Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (you can use panko for extra crispiness)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil (vegetable or canola oil) for frying
Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- Ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, or your favorite dipping sauce
Prepare the Chicken:
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1 to 1.5 inches in size. Season them with salt and pepper.
Set Up a Breading Station:
- In a shallow dish, place the flour.
- In another shallow dish, beat the eggs.
Mix the Breadcrumb Coating:
- In a third shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese (if using), paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix well to ensure even seasoning.
Coat the Chicken Nuggets:
- Take a piece of chicken and coat it in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip it into the beaten eggs, making sure it's fully coated.
- Roll it in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken to make sure they adhere well. Repeat this process with all the chicken pieces.
Heat the Oil:
- In a deep frying pan or skillet, add enough cooking oil to cover the bottom by about 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium-high heat to around 350-375°F (175-190°C). You can check if the oil is hot enough by adding a small breadcrumb; it should sizzle and float.
Fry the Nuggets:
- Carefully place the coated chicken nuggets into the hot oil, a few at a time, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
Drain and Serve:
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken nuggets from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
Serve with Dipping Sauce:
- Serve your homemade chicken nuggets hot with your favorite dipping sauce. Ketchup, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, or ranch dressing are all popular choices.
Enjoy your homemade chicken nuggets as a delicious snack, appetizer, or even a kid-friendly meal. They're crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and much tastier than store-bought nuggets!